Thread: BIS thread

Posts: 4131
Page: prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 414 next

Post by bissie July 17, 2007 (81 of 4131)
krisjan said:

Sorry to make this correction Robert, but education is not "free" in Sweden. While you may not be paying the cost directly, it does come from you through Sweden's high tax rate. See attached link on taxation in Sweden. I feel your pain. 'nuf said about that.
Mark

http://www.sweden.se/upload/Sweden_se/english/factsheets/SI/SI_FS35y_Taxes_in_Sweden/fs35y.pdf

Dear Mark,
this is definitely off-topic and will inevitably lead to a politic discussion, so I should abstain. Let me just say this: there are no free lunches, not even in Sweden. Yes, we do pay what amounts to be the highest taxes in the world. But what we get back is the freedom of choice for anyone to study to the full extent of his/her abilities, regardless if he/she was born by parents who can afford it, "free" medicare without being asked for the credit card by the car-wreck, decent pensions etc. Everything has a price, and Sweden has gone the way of evening out the class differences, so bad for owners of good private enterprises (including me), but a society very much devoid of the class problems so rampant elsewhere. Let's call it a "softer" society.
I now fully expect to be attacked from both right and left, and I apologize in advance for having started what amounts to an off-topic discussion. I will try to shut up henceforth, when it comes to this.

Best - Robert

Post by Dinko July 17, 2007 (82 of 4131)
Can you get the government to tax citizens even more as to subsidize all future BIS recordings? It would be a great thing for all of us living abroad. :D

Post by ramesh July 17, 2007 (83 of 4131)
bissie said:
Let me just say this: there are no free lunches, not even in Sweden. Yes, we do pay what amounts to be the highest taxes in the world. But what we get back is the freedom of choice for anyone to study to the full extent of his/her abilities, regardless if he/she was born by parents who can afford it, "free" medicare without being asked for the credit card by the car-wreck, decent pensions etc. Everything has a price, and Sweden has gone the way of evening out the class differences, so bad for owners of good private enterprises (including me), but a society very much devoid of the class problems so rampant elsewhere. Let's call it a "softer" society.


Best - Robert

Well said.
I'm a softie for a soft society.
I'm only annoyed that Sweden inflicted 'Abba' on the rest of the world. The disco Vikings.

Post by bissie July 17, 2007 (84 of 4131)
Dinko said:

Can you get the government to tax citizens even more as to subsidize all future BIS recordings? It would be a great thing for all of us living abroad. :D

Why should I? We have you and a good number of your colleagues that make sure that we survive. Thanks for the compliment.
Best - Robert

Post by tommwi July 17, 2007 (85 of 4131)
Regarding possible state subsidizing of BIS Ö well, not really!

But BIS recordings are actually sold at an almost unbelievable low price in Sweden. This has been going on for several years, decades I guess by now. The price is regardless of format.

I buy BIS on Swedish web shops for 129 skr.
With current exchange rates that would be: Euro 14,08 / £.9,48 / $19,43 The dollar/skr rate is a bit out of ordinary at the moment!

The same shop also have the pleasure to deliver Pentatone to me every now and then: The same figures: 189 skr / Euro 20,63 / £.13,89 / $28,46

Pentatone is 47% (!!) more expensive than BIS. Universal is pretty much in between (RBCD).

I can only express my admiration for this price policy. Iím thankful to their commitment. To be able to produce and sell premium SACD at this price level impresses me and makes me wonder why others canít. Or are we witnessing a business suicide by BIS? Hope not!

/Tommy

Post by andrewb July 18, 2007 (86 of 4131)
Following on from the post by Tommy about the different prices for discs in Sweden and other countries. I have often wondered about the wide ranging prices that are offered by different countries or different retailers within the same country and how this affects the record company.

My questions are:
1) If I buy a disc at say £10 as opposed to £13 from another retailer, does this mean the record compnay receives less money for that disc, or is the difference in price absorbed only by the retailer and/or distributor?

Obviously exchange rates and transport costs can make a difference to the final price but I often worry that in buying at the lowest price I am harming the financial state of the record company that I wish to support. This support is, of course, not altruistic but stems from a desire that the record company continues to produce more discs of the type that I want to buy and listen to.

2) Early on in the orginal BIS thread "BIS SACD policy" you said that it was the aim of your company to eventually produce all discs in SACD format.
Is this still the goal and, are you any closer to realising it, or are economics preventing significant progress being made in this regard?

Obviously, you may be limited in what you can say because of commercial competition and the need for some secrecy in this respect, but it would be very intertesting if you can comment.

By the way Ronald Brautigam has done it again, volume 5 is another brilliant addition to his Beethoven cycle - the 'Storm' sonata is magical, full of insight and clarity. (Shame, (post edited because that's the wrong word!).) It maybe another two years before we get to hear the final sonatas, followed by all the variations and other piano pieces: truly a marathon. But a marathon that we can all look forward to hearing in the years to come.

Post by bissie July 18, 2007 (87 of 4131)
andrewb said:

Following on from the post by Tommy about the different prices for discs in Sweden and other countries. I have often wondered about the wide ranging prices that are offered by different countries or different retailers within the same country and how this affects the record company.

My questions are:
1) If I buy a disc at say £10 as opposed to £13 from another retailer, does this mean the record compnay receives less money for that disc, or is the difference in price absorbed only by the retailer and/or distributor?

Obviously exchange rates and transport costs can make a difference to the final price but I often worry that in buying at the lowest price I am harming the financial state of the record company that I wish to support. This support is, of course, not altruistic but stems from a desire that the record company continues to produce more discs of the type that I want to buy and listen to.

2) Early on in the orginal BIS thread "BIS SACD policy" you said that it was the aim of your company to eventually produce all discs in SACD format.
Is this still the goal and, are you any closer to realising it, or are economics preventing significant progress being made in this regard?

Obviously, you may be limited in what you can say because of commercial competition and the need for some secrecy in this respect, but it would be very intertesting if you can comment.

By the way Ronald Brautigam has done it again, volume 5 is another brilliant addition to his Beethoven cycle - the 'Storm' sonata is magical, full of insight and clarity. Shame, that it looks as though it will be another two years before we get to hear the final sonatas, followed by all the variations and other piano pieces: truly a marathon.

Dear Andrew,

obviously I don't want to undress totally in front of an internet audience, but here some answers to very valid questions:
1) short answer: no. Different retailers have different margins. Sometimes the retailer is also the importer, and therefore one middleman is removed, which equals better prices for you. Having said this, I do wish to make the point that it is not only the record company that has to survive, but also the chain that eventually brings home the SACD:s to discerning people like you. Therefore it is incumbent on us to not compete the shops out of the market. Without the distribution chain, where would we be??
Also, it might be a contractual thing. For instance, I sell to the US in Dollars, and the price is fixed for a certain period. With the Dollar dropping out of sight, it ought to be advantageous for overseas customers to buy my stuff from the US right now...

2) That aim stands and, as a matter of percentage, we are now better than half of new recordings. The bottleneck lies in the postproduction, since we take multichannel extremely seriously and work our collective tail ends off to really bring out the best in every recording. This takes time and studio capacity and costs hugely. So it is not unproblematic, but we are convinced and we do put our money where our mouths are.

3) I really cannot agree with the "shame" word, even though I do understand that you write it in jest. We fully intend this to be the last word in van Beethoven solo pianoforte playing. For this to happen, Brautigam has to live with the pieces for years before putting them down, rather than to haste through them. The results of this policy is there for everyone to enjoy. Ear-openers, they are. I am letting Ronald take his good time, as much as he wants, to ensure these results. That's the only way to go. And, you know, He who waits for something good (read superlative).....

Best - Robert

Post by Peter July 18, 2007 (88 of 4131)
Robert, I think "shame" in this context means "what a pity".

Post by andrewb July 18, 2007 (89 of 4131)
bissie said:


3) I really cannot agree with the "shame" word, even though I do understand that you write it in jest. We fully intend this to be the last word in van Beethoven solo pianoforte playing. For this to happen, Brautigam has to live with the pieces for years before putting them down, rather than to haste through them. The results of this policy is there for everyone to enjoy. Ear-openers, they are. I am letting Ronald take his good time, as much as he wants, to ensure these results. That's the only way to go. And, you know, He who waits for something good (read superlative).....

Best - Robert

Sorry for my poor wording, Peter is quite right, maybe I should have said "what a pity" - I only meant to say that I long to hear him play the late sonatas on the fortepiano, but I understand that his interpretations have to develop over a significant time. I certainly would not want them rushed.

The last disc released, volume 5, was recorded in August 2005 and, judging by the frequency of the previous recordings, I am hopeful that he will soon be recording the last sonatas, perhaps in the sessions scheduled for this coming August. So maybe in another 18 months, or a little longer, we may enjoy the hearing the recordings: a pleasure to come.

Thank you for your comments regarding pricing and costs, very informative.

Post by bissie July 18, 2007 (90 of 4131)
Peter said:

Robert, I think "shame" in this context means "what a pity".

I know, I know, was trying to crack a joke by pretending to take it literally.
Robert

Page: prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 414 next

Closed