add to wish list | library


23 of 25 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Mahler: Symphony No. 9 - Nott

Posts: 37
Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Post by rosenkavalier817 May 5, 2010 (1 of 37)
I just read Polly Nomial's splendid review. Does anyone with both this and the Gilbert wish to offer any comparisons or insight? Much appreciated!

Post by akiralx May 6, 2010 (2 of 37)
rosenkavalier817 said:

I just read Polly Nomial's splendid review. Does anyone with both this and the Gilbert wish to offer any comparisons or insight? Much appreciated!

Yes it sounds as if it is very fine, but will have to be superlative to top the Gilbert.

Post by arnaoutchot May 7, 2010 (3 of 37)
I have both (and many Mahler 9th more). What especially would you like to know ? From my point of view both are excellent recordings in every regard. Maybe I would prefer Nott slightly, as it has a more "natural" feeling. Maybe this is also caused by a little patriotism, I do not live very far from Bamberg, where it has been recorded (in a brand new symphony hall with great acoustics).

Post by fafnir May 7, 2010 (4 of 37)
arnaoutchot said:

I have both (and many Mahler 9th more). What especially would you like to know ? From my point of view both are excellent recordings in every regard. Maybe I would prefer Nott slightly, as it has a more "natural" feeling. Maybe this is also caused by a little patriotism, I do not live very far from Bamberg, where it has been recorded (in a brand new symphony hall with great acoustics).

All my previous Nott recordings for Tudor were made in the Joseph Keilberth Hall. Do you know if Nott's new Mahler 2nd was also recorded in the new hall? I have it on order, and I think I will order the Mahler 9th despite owning the truly excellent Gilbert recording.

Post by Windsurfer May 7, 2010 (5 of 37)
fafnir said:

.... and I think I will order the Mahler 9th despite owning the truly excellent Gilbert recording.

Yeah, I am going to have to get this too - despite owning the truly excellent Gilbert recording and a few others that are not at all less than excellent.

As I think I noted in discussing the Nott / Bamberg Mahler 5th there is something about the nature of the Bamberger's wind playing that seems quintessentially "central European", and to me at least, it is VERY special!

Post by Daland May 7, 2010 (6 of 37)
fafnir said:

All my previous Nott recordings for Tudor were made in the Joseph Keilberth Hall. Do you know if Nott's new Mahler 2nd was also recorded in the new hall? I have it on order, and I think I will order the Mahler 9th despite owning the truly excellent Gilbert recording.

The booklet says that Mahler's Resurrection Symphony was recorded in the Joseph Keilberth Saal in March 2008.

Post by Kal Rubinson May 7, 2010 (7 of 37)
arnaoutchot said:

Maybe this is also caused by a little patriotism, I do not live very far from Bamberg, where it has been recorded (in a brand new symphony hall with great acoustics).

The M9 was recorded in the Joseph-Keilberth-Saal on Sept. 15-19,2008 according to my copy.

Kal

Post by arnaoutchot May 8, 2010 (8 of 37)
Kal Rubinson said:

The M9 was recorded in the Joseph-Keilberth-Saal on Sept. 15-19,2008 according to my copy.

Kal

Joseph-Keilberth-Saal is the name of the large auditorium in Bamberg Symphony's concert hall. The building actually dates from 1993, but has been completely refurbished in 2009. To those who can read German there is some interesting report attached on what had actually been done acoustically to the venue. To those who cannot, there are at least some pictures of the setup of the orchestra recording Mahler 9 at the bottom.

I do not have Mahler #2 myself yet, but I am certain that it had been recorded there as well. I still cannot judge how the improved acoustics after reopening in autumn 2009 will effect the sound of SACD-recordings. Let's hope for the best.

http://www.bamberger-symphoniker.de/akustik.html?&L=0%22onfocus%25...kPid%5D%3D30%22%22%20onfocus%3D%22blurLink%28this%29

Post by mahlerei May 8, 2010 (9 of 37)
arnaoutchot said:

Joseph-Keilberth-Saal is the name of the large auditorium in Bamberg Symphony's concert hall. The building actually dates from 1993, but has been completely refurbished in 2008. Mahler 9 actually was the opening performance of the new building. To those who can read German there is some interesting report attached on what had actually been done acoustically to the venue. To those who cannot, there are at least some pictures of the setup of the orchestra recording Mahler 9 at the bottom.

I do not have Mahler #2 myself yet, but I am certain that it had been recorded there as well.

http://www.bamberger-symphoniker.de/akustik.html?&L=0%22onfocus%25...kPid%5D%3D30%22%22%20onfocus%3D%22blurLink%28this%29

Yes, the M2 was recorded there. And you are in for a real treat; this is one of the finest readings - and recordings - of the symphony in recent years.

Post by arnaoutchot May 8, 2010 (10 of 37)
Mahlerei, I certainly will get that too !!! Please mind that you were answering faster than I could correct my posting. The refurbishment took place in 2009 only and the Mahler 9 still was recorded in the old auditorium.

In March 2010 they recorded Mahler 3, when I am not mistaken.

Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Closed