add to wish list | library


6 of 6 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
CDJapan
jpc

Discussion: Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 - Böhm

Posts: 38
Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Post by Arthur June 21, 2011 (1 of 38)
Now HERE'S a disc worthy of the full treatment! One of the greatest discs, not greatest Bruckner discs, GREATEST DISCS, of all time!

Woo Hoo!!

Post by krisjan June 22, 2011 (2 of 38)
And if it were available for $15 I'd buy it.

Post by seth June 22, 2011 (3 of 38)
krisjan said:

And if it were available for $15 I'd buy it.

Ditto.

Post by Arthur June 22, 2011 (4 of 38)
I'd buy most of these Japanese reissues if they were $15! This is one of the few that price won't matter.

Post by DSD June 22, 2011 (5 of 38)
Arthur said:

I'd buy most of these Japanese reissues if they were $15!

Me too and that is about what they would cost on the internet with the usual discounts if they were released by Universal Europe instead of Universal Japan.

Post by Chris June 23, 2011 (6 of 38)
DSD said:

Me too and that is about what they would cost on the internet with the usual discounts if they were released by Universal Europe instead of Universal Japan.

Agree indeed,
PRICES from both Universal Japan and Estoteric are SIMPLY RIDICULOUS!!!

Besides, I always liked Karajan´s Bruckner recordings better than Böhm´s anyway.
There is an absolutely captivating live DGG DVD of the 8th in decent sq from ST Florian under Karajan.
A master Bruckner conductor at work under live conditions.
For a good modern version on SACD there is the DSD recording from the Concertgebouw under Haitink too.
No compression, no undue spotlighting, no sweetening, just a plain honest reasonably simply miked DSD take of how thing most probably sounded there and then. Recommended for those who can digest such an unsweetened pill.

Post by Ernani71 June 23, 2011 (7 of 38)
Chris said:

For a good modern version on SACD there is the DSD recording from the Concertgebouw under Haitink too.

omg the worst sacd ever imho.

Post by current93 June 24, 2011 (8 of 38)
Ernani71 said:

omg the worst sacd ever imho.

Strongly disagree. One of the most noble and profound perfomances of this symphony. The DSD recording (in Stereo) is also very fine, sure it is better than most DGG SHM-SACDs of 60's and 70's.

Post by Jonalogic June 24, 2011 (9 of 38)
current93 said:

Strongly disagree. One of the most noble and profound perfomances of this symphony. The DSD recording (in Stereo) is also very fine, sure it is better than most DGG SHM-SACDs of 60's and 70's.

Half agree with both of you - the Haitink is a superb performance but IMHO in very murky, veiled and un-transparent sound.

As for the Bohm, a very fine performance, also - but it's a DG, dammit, so the sound is pants. Re-mastering DGs for SACD is somewhat of a waste of time, IMO.

For a great performance of Bruckner 8 and sound that doesn't drive you out of the room, my recommendation would be Wand on RCA Japan.

I suppose we're lucky to have three great performances of Bruckner 8 on SACD - I just wish one of them had SQ to do it real justice. But the Wand is the best of the bunch in this respect.

Post by current93 June 24, 2011 (10 of 38)
Let's hope BMG Japan will join Universal Japan and EMI Japan with their SHM-SACD reissues obsession and release entire Wand/BPO anthology from early 2000.

Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Closed